Urbandale Unplugged

The Student News Site of Urbandale High School

Urbandale Unplugged

Urbandale Unplugged

NFL Draft Recap
NFL Draft Recap
May 8, 2024
Podcast Episode 2
Podcast Episode 2
April 12, 2024

A Short Legacy Set to Live Forever

This story and it’s content is dedicated to Matthew and Anna Harper
Lilian Gyure
A Harper Ribbon

It was with heavy hearts on February 8, 2024, that the Urbandale community learned about the loss of Mr. Matthew Harper, the UMS choir director, general music teacher, and Pizzazz director. Harper passed due to a sudden brain aneurysm early in the morning on the 7th and was pronounced brain-dead on the 8th. His wife, Anna Harper, provided as much life-saving assistance as she could. Harper was rushed to the hospital and later life-flighted to Iowa City. Unfortunately, the aneurysm occurred in an inoperable location in the brain and neurologists told them that there was nothing that could be done. Harper left behind his wife, who is currently six months pregnant, his family, his students, and a legacy that will never be forgotten.

Harper only taught in Urbandale for two years but in those two years, he had one of the biggest impacts on his students. He provided them with a safe space and a spectacular musical education. That Friday, February 9th, Pizzazz and Ambition performed in an exhibition at The Urbandale Show Choir Invitational but, they also performed in honor of Harper. Tears flooded the Performing Arts Center as students and families from all over central Iowa packed the house to cheer on Pizzazz. Throughout the weekend you could of spotted all the Urbandale members wearing “Harper Ribbons,” red and blue ribbons similar to ones for breast cancer or mental health awareness. You also could have even seen students from other schools wearing their own version of Harper Ribbons. That weekend was extremely tough on the Urbandale community but the support that Pizzazz received from their show choir community was immense and greatly appreciated.

On February 15th, students learned that Harper’s organs were harvested and that his heart was given to someone on Valentine’s Day along with all of his other usable organs. Harper’s visitation is scheduled for February 24th, from 12-3:00 pm at Hamilton’s Funeral Home (3601 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266). Anna encourages guests to wear Chacos and/or a quarter zip to honor Harper’s habit of wearing them. His funeral service is set for Sunday, February 25th at 3:00 pm at Faith Lutheran Church in Clive (10395 University Avenue, Clive, IA 50325).

A GoFundMe is also available to donate to Mrs. Harper, the baby, and Harper’s family. The GoFundMe has continued to surpass multiple monetary goals and is currently sitting at $109.7k. If you knew Mr. Harper you can also write a note including any memories or comments on Harper and send it to Mrs. Harper so she can share them with the baby.

The loss of Mr. Harper will continue to affect students and families in and around Urbandale. Mr. Harper’s short legacy will live in our hearts forever.

Below is a link to the GoFundMe if you are looking to donate.

https://gofund.me/43cc692d