Urbandale Unplugged

The Student News Site of Urbandale High School

Urbandale Unplugged

Urbandale Unplugged

NFL Draft Recap
NFL Draft Recap
May 8, 2024
Podcast Episode 2
Podcast Episode 2
April 12, 2024

GOAT, The age old question

GOAT, The age old question

Who is the G.O.A.T in the NBA LeBron or Jordan maybe even Kobe? An age-old question the fans debate all the time. Ultimately it is your opinion on the goat but here is my opinion.

Michael Jordan’s achievements in the NBA are nothing short of legendary, solidifying his status as one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships, earning Finals MVP honors each time. His scoring prowess is unparalleled, with a career average of 30.1 points per game, making him the league’s all-time leading scorer in PPG. Jordan’s impact extended beyond scoring, as he earned ten scoring titles, five MVP awards, and ten All-NBA First Team selections. His defensive skills were equally impressive, with nine NBA All-Defensive First Team selections. Jordan’s influence on the game goes beyond statistics; his competitiveness, leadership, and ability to elevate his performance in crucial moments make him an enduring icon in the history of basketball.

Kobe Bryant, with his incredible work ethic and five championships, is also a central figure in the debate. The criteria for greatness extend beyond statistics, encompassing leadership, competitiveness, and the ability to perform in clutch moments. Fans’ loyalties often align with their favorite era or team, adding a nostalgic element to the discussions.

The ongoing nature of the NBA GOAT debate adds to the excitement of the sport, fostering a sense of connection among fans while acknowledging the greatness of players across different eras. Ultimately, the debate remains subjective, with no definitive answer, allowing basketball enthusiasts to appreciate the unique contributions of each legendary player.

LeBron James has forged an illustrious career marked by remarkable achievements in the NBA. A four-time NBA champion, LeBron has showcased his versatility by excelling in scoring, playmaking, and rebounding throughout his career. His accolades include four NBA MVP awards and 20 All-Star selections. Renowned for his consistency and durability, LeBron has surpassed numerous milestones, becoming the youngest player to reach 30,000 career points. Beyond individual accomplishments, his impact extends to team success, leading the Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers to NBA championships and then guiding the Los Angeles Lakers to their 17th title. LeBron’s influence goes beyond the court, as he has been an outspoken leader on social issues and philanthropy, leaving an indelible mark on and off the basketball court.

In my opinion, Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. Going undefeated in 6 NBA finals and 3 peating 2 times is unheard of in the NBA while winning finals MVP every time is one thing you may never see again. Even beyond stats, Jordan evolved the game popularized it globally, and solidified his greatness in the NBA. His competitive drive unmatched work ethic and performance on the court contribute to Michael Jordan being the GOAT.