Urbandale Unplugged

The Student News Site of Urbandale High School

Urbandale Unplugged

Urbandale Unplugged

NFL Draft Recap
NFL Draft Recap
May 8, 2024
Podcast Episode 2
Podcast Episode 2
April 12, 2024

NFL Draft Recap

NFL Draft Recap
NFL.com

The 2024 NFL draft happened on April 25 here is a review of the first 10 picks. With the first pick the Chicago Bears selected quarterback Caleb Williams out of USC. This was the expected first pick for the Bears and was a solid pick, too. Williams was the 2022 Heisman Trophy winner and was the runner up for it again in 2023 just losing out to Jayden Daniels. Daniels, from LSU was the second pick to the Washington Commanders. He was considered the most athletic QB in the draft, with comparisons to MVP QB Cam Newton. The Patriots had the third pick and with it they took Drake Maye the quarterback from UNC. This was another projected pick and was a surprise to nobody. Some believe the pick will not work out due to the Patriots lack of offensive weapons. The Arizona Cardinals selected Marvin Harrison Jr, a wide receiver from Ohio State. MHJ was a great pick for Arizona finding help for their QB Kyler Murry. Some say MHJ has the potential to be better than his father who was a Hall of Fame wide receiver for the Colts.  With the fifth pick the Chargers took Joe Alt. As an offensive tackle this was a good pick for the Chargers because Jim Harbaugh, the Chargers head coach, leans to a running offense. The Giants who had the sixth pick in the draft took WR Malik Nabers out of LSU. A good pick for Giants, but NFL viewers and Giants fans should not be surprised if he doesn’t produce to his hype for his first season. JC Lathem was the seventh pick out of Alabama to the Titans. With a height and weight of 6’6”, 342 LBS the Titans hope Lathem can be the man to over power any defense. With the eighth pick and probably the most controversial pick in the draft the Atlanta Falcons selected Micheal Penix Jr, QB from Washington. It was controversial because the Falcons just signed veteran QB Kirk Cousins. For the ninth pick in the draft and the Bears second pick in the first round, the Bears took WR Rome Odunze from Washington. This was another great pick for the Bears, because it adds more young talent to the Bears explosive offense, and a possible top five receiving core. The final top 10 pick was to the Minnesota Vikings who selected QB JJ McCarthy out of Michigan. A good pick after losing Kirk Cousins, their old QB. McCarthy also gets to work with the best WR in football Justin Jefferson, as well McCarthy has championship experience when he won both the Big Ten Championship and the National Championship. Overall the 2024 NFL has the possibility to be the one of the best drafts we have seen in a long while. This was a draft loaded with generational talent.